Monday, January 17, 2022

"The Motive" Review

 

by John Zenoni



I have watched my fair share of true-crime shows and docuseries on Netflix this past year and have been pretty pleased with them overall, in terms of the storylines and endings. However, the latest I have watched, ‘The Motive’, has left me angry and scratching my head because of how it ends. The crime was committed, a confession made and sentence (unbelievably short sentence, considering what happened) served and yet no reason or insight into why the murders took place provided. It just absolutely leaves you hanging! Have I missed something? If someone else watches it, please let me know.
The story is about a 13-year-old boy who confesses to shooting his parents and two sisters, while in their sleep, at point-blank range. It's a four-part Israeli docuseries that uses both real-life footage and recreation footage (which to me, was very hard to distinguish) to tell the story and show the events after the murders. It's an absolutely troubling tale and one that makes you cringe at how this kid - who, by all accounts is extremely intelligent - was able to do what he did and never show any emotion or give any insight into why he did it. His attorney alludes to the fact that if anyone knew what he did, as to why his client committed the crime, then people would understand. Well, then tell the viewer! But this information is never revealed and leaves one only guessing. But I cannot think of anything that would excuse the cold-blooded murder of four people, especially your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment