Sunday, January 29, 2023

"All Quiet on the Western Front" Mini-Review

 

by John Zenoni


I am absolutely destroyed by the ending of the latest war movie entry by Netflix, ‘All Quiet on the Western Front.’ I know the book is a classic and one that I read when I was much, much younger, but I honestly could not remember much of it going into this latest adaptation of the classic. Well in my opinion, this film version (earlier versions have been released) is a classic as well. The irony at the beginning of the film showing the young German friends excited at enlisting to fight in WWI and hoping to get to the front lines does not go missed by us, the viewers, as we know it's not going to go well. The horror starts early on and does not let up as we watch 17-year-old Paul Baumér and his friends realize this is nothing as they expected, with several crying and wishing to go home. The acting, cinematography, sound and military scenes are absolutely brilliant and unforgettable. This is a definite hard one to watch and, again, that ending is one I will not forget for a long, long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment