Monday, January 3, 2022

"The White Fortress" Review

 

by John Zenoni



I can honestly say that I don’t think I've ever watched a Bosnian-Canadian drama film before but I did screen ‘The White Fortress’ the other evening and I must say it wasn't too bad. I did find it a little bit hard to follow at times and the ending left me scratching my head and I have had to read other reviews to see other’s thoughts on it but I guess it's left open to interpretation. And that's ok.
Basically, the story is about two young kids from opposite sides of the track: Farouk, a poor kid who deals in scrap metal with his uncle and also does side work for criminals; and Mona, a beautiful, young lady from a wealthy family (though it's questionable how they get their money) who pretty much has the finer things in life. They accidentally meet and fall for each other and want to believe that their being together can last but…I'll just leave it at that.

The performances are good in this film and thinking back on it, I can see how hard it was for both of the main characters to want to escape their current situations and be together but they knew it wouldn't work.
This one has been selected as the Bosnian entry for the Best International Feature Film at the 94th Academy Awards and it will be interesting to see how it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment