Tuesday, January 25, 2022

"Spencer" Review

 

by John Zenoni



I had the chance to screen the latest film based on the late Princess Diana so I took it, as I 've heard so much about Kristen Stewart’s performance as the princess and had to see how she did. I'll get to my thoughts on that in a moment. ‘Spencer’ is definitely not what I expected though in how the film plays out.

When the film opens, things have already grown cold between Diana and Charles, William and Harry are young men - close to early/mid teen years - and it is apparent that rumors of Charles’ affair with Camilla and an eventual divorce will happen. This all sets the stage for a very somber mood at the Queen’s estate during the Christmas season. What the film entirely focuses on is the strain, both physically and mentally, that Diana goes through. She is constantly under watch, not even being able to walk the estate without someone tracking her down, and she sees how Charles looks at Camilla after gathering outside a church service. Her curtains are even sewed shut so she will not allow the chance for any photographers to see her changing. She desperately wants her life back but is told by Charles at one point during the film that you have to have two lives, one being the real you and the other one for photographers. He told her, ‘I am sorry, I thought you knew.’ Too bad he hadn't told her that before she married him.
As far as the movie itself, overall it's ok. I wasn't blown away by it at all, as it had moments where it just dragged and many scenes seemed repetitive. I will say it was hard though, watching it at times, realizing that Diana is no longer with us. I recall exactly the moment when I heard she had been killed in that fateful car accident and how well-loved she was by so many millions of people.
Now, going back to Kristen Stewart and her performance, I have to admit that she does a great job. She absolutely nails how Diana talks and looks. In certain scenes you swear you are looking at the real Princess Di again. I can see why she's being highly-touted as a front-runner to win the Oscar for best performance by an actress. She definitely owns this film!

No comments:

Post a Comment