Wednesday, January 5, 2022

I'll Never Feel the Need to See "Love Is Love Is Love" Again

 

by John Zenoni



I had not even heard of the film ‘Love Is Love Is Love’ until I caught a screening of it, and needless to say, it's one that I'm glad I didn't have to pay money to watch. The movie isn't horrible but it just didn't live up to my expectations, considering the wonderful cast that it has.
This is a film that has three stories in it - each one telling a different story about love and relationships. The first segment is about a husband and wife who are apart while he's on a job site - he is a movie director - and so they have a virtual date. This particulate segment ends up showing how love is not completely honest or what it seems.

The second segment - probably my least favorite, even though it has the amazing actor Kathy Baker, who, unfortunately, cannot even save it - is about a husband and wife who are ‘sailing’ into troubled waters after 33 years of marriage. I reference sailing as that's what the couple literally ends up doing. While the story touches on valid issues of a couple at that stage in life, married as long as they have been, the chemistry between Baker and actor Marshall Bell is non-existent, in my opinion, so it doesn't seem believable.

Last, is a segment about a young woman whose mother has recently passed and she has a wake for her, inviting her mother’s closest friends to come and tell stories about their friendship with her mom. This is the longest - and probably the best - of the segments and has some wonderful actors in it, including: Cybil Sheppard; Joanna Whalley; Rosanna Arquette; and Rita Wilson. The issue is that the interaction between the friends is long and drawn out and is overkill, in my opinion. Some of the dialogue is also cheesy as well.
This is not a bad film but one that I will never have the need to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment