Friday, December 28, 2018

"The Mule" Proves That Clint Eastwood's Still Got It



by John Zenoni


Related image







Clint Eastwood still has it! Granted, he is not the hard and gritty action hero (or villain) that we are used to seeing him portray as in his previous films but we have to remember that he is in a different phase of his life now and this certainly plays true in his latest film, ‘The Mule.’ Prior to seeing this film I had been told by others who had seen it that is was ‘ok’ so my expectations were not very high. However, I have left the theater tonight loving this film. 

First, I was shocked by his appearance when he first came on screen so that took a little bit of getting used to. Whether he really looks like that I can’t say but regardless he does appear ‘weathered’ in this movie. His acting is excellent as always so that has not changed. He also has an outstanding cast with him - Bradley Cooper (I did not realize he was in this film so it was a nice surprise), Michael Pena, Dianne Wiest, Andy Garcia, Lawrence Fishburne and more. The story, at first, initially seemed absurd. This older gentleman, not a good husband or father, which he admits to, all of a sudden gets tied up with a drug cartel by becoming a ‘mule’ for them. He does this to try and win his family and friends back by having money to help with things. 

While the premise does not sound intriguing, it really is and works, especially considering that this film is based on a true story. Everything in this film played out well and the ending rings true. What I love as well is the great song that plays at the end while the credits are rolling. There is nothing I love more than great music when it connects to the scene or theme of a film. I never, ever thought I would like Toby Keith but his song at the end of this film is perfect. Great film!

1 comment:

  1. I just don’t think Client is convincing enough to play the part . He is to old for it. There is a point we’re the actors physical feature need to fit the part. And I haven’t seen it but just watching the trails Clint as the main character turns it off for me.

    ReplyDelete