Monday, September 12, 2022

John's Take on "Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn"



by John Zenoni


Image result for birds of prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn

Image result for birds of prey gif

Before I begin my review of “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)”, let me preface it by saying that I thought the first film that introduced character Harley Quinn, “Suicide Squad”, was a pretty good and I definitely thought Jared Leto did a great job portraying the Joker in that film. Why he didn't get more kudos for his portrayal and why he isn't in his own film (or in a sequel) is beyond me. With that being said, it's his NOT being in “Birds of Prey” that is the start to this film. Harley Quinn narrates this film - basically throughout the entire thing which normally gets on my nerves but in this case worked pretty well - and is depressed as she and Joker have split for good. As a result of this, she has people who now want to get to her for things that have been done to them. Needless to say this leads to pretty good action - along with some great music - during her run from the ‘bad’ guys. I say that as Harley Quinn is no angel herself but she's the star of the film and the person we're supposed to ‘root’ for.

While Margot Robbie is great as Harley Quinn, the surprise breakout in my opinion is Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Black Mask. He does an awesome job of playing this despicable bad guy! The rest of the cast does a good job as well, uniting a group of women who can definitely take care of themselves, and I can see this group reuniting later on for another film. Although, I've read that the box office isn't as expected so this might be the end of the road for this series. Not necessarily for Harley Quinn though as I understand there is a “Suicide Squad” sequel planned for 2021.
Either way, this is a pretty good crime/action film!





Originally Posted 2/7/20

No comments:

Post a Comment