Wednesday, September 14, 2022

"Goodnight Mommy" Review

 

by John Zenoni



Since I'm seeing advertisements for the upcoming remake of the 2014 Austrian psychological horror film, ‘Goodnight Mommy’, I decided to check out the original to see if it was worth all the noise I remember hearing when it first came out. This film has been on many ‘must see’ lists for horror fans since its release and I can see why. It is definitely a disturbing and chilling film. This one really had me going down one path and then shocked me with the big ‘twist’ toward the end that made my jaw drop.

The film focuses on a mother of twin boys who has recently returned from the hospital after undergoing plastic surgery. The mother, played by the excellent Susanne Wuest, comes home angry and very distant from the boys. The twins, played by Elias and Lukas Schwarz (both scary and creepy in their performances), soon begin to think that this person is someone else and not really their mother. As the film goes on, we learn that their father and mother divorced and there was an accident at some point that separated the family. The twins decide they have to find out who this person is and what happens throughout the rest of the film is horrific.
I will say, that having read some follow-ups afterwards and reflected back on key scenes, there are some definite clues I should have picked up on but it does not matter. This is a definite scare flick that I am worried will not get justice with the remake. But because Naomi Watts is starring in the latest version, and the storyline is so good, I will definitely give it a shot too! Definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment