Thursday, July 7, 2022

"Wonder Woman" Movie Review



by Justin Griffin


Image result for wonder woman 2017 poster


Well, I thought I would give this a crack... I am not nearly as great of a writer as Matt Gaskin - but I'm usually looking for a down to earth review - so here goes....

I saw Wonder Woman tonight. This is a critique of the movie - The first part will be a critique for those thinking of seeing it, then I will warn you clearly... not to read further at risk of spoilers.
If you like Marvel, DC, superhero movies in general (Captain America, IronMan) - then what can I say... this ranks an easy 8+. Overall - it was FANTASTIC... Let me start by saying - Gal Gadot not only looks amazing, but she has steak to go with her sizzle. She proved herself to be fit for a dual role of beauty and grit in the not so awesome "Keeping up with the Jones'". However, she was born to be WonderWoman! Chris Pine was typical for him. Nothing memorable, except one scene that the girls might not forget. He was caught naked (he covered his privates with his hands) by Diane Prince (Gadot) -and it showed his full body and his muscles - all in a a non-sexual way.

It was so refreshing to have a woman superhero - seriously.... Ironman, superman, Captain american, spiderman... so many more - ALL MEN.. I'm not very political in this way - but believe me - she is amazing!

The movie has no bad language, no nudity, and no real gore. There are several war fighting scenes that are intense for kids. You know there are people being killed, but it doesn't show the gore of the action deaths. It does show some people get shot with arrows from the bows of the Amazons. My 11 year old was fine with the action scenes. My 11 year old kept saying throughout the movie, "this movie is so awesome" - He watches lots of movies and this was a HUGE hit for him. My wife and I both really liked it.

There is one "love" scene - where the two stars are clearly about to become intimate. I was thinking... this guy is about to *%$*$*#*# with The Wonder Woman!!! - I could go in so many directions here - but I digress.. There is no nudity. They begin to kiss, while fully dressed, and the scene fades away, but there is a lag or pause while they look at each other. My wife and I looked at each other and had to make a joke with my son and cover his eyes, etc. So, the scene is building and you don't know what to expect, but now you know...

Ok - if you have not scene the movie and are planning to watch it... DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS POINT!!! You have been warned!

After watching the movie, I have so many things to say about it. I'll try to be brief and to the point:

Lets start with the villain... 

Great twist - should have picked a different actor - did not like how they casted this person.

Slow Build

Almost too slow - before we finally get to see WW in action - but maybe that was the intent - bc when she manifests her abilities - it blows you away!!

Several Under-developemnts

Didn't use the boomerang tiara, no history on the special cuffs - and very little on the laso.

Did a mediocre job at her history.

It was a time piece - set in World War 2 - and it was weird to see her role in that war - just doesn't fit - even tho that is her history and captain america had a similar type role. I guess I was just used to seeing lynda Carter as a normal person fighting crime - like Clark Kent.There is an intriguing connection to her and Bruce Wayne - that leaves you very curious.

Did not like the way the romance ended in this movie. I don't want to give it all away, I'll just say, it didn't end the way I expected, and left me disappointed.

Her action scenes were suspenseful. and her form in these scenes were spot on - looking like a true pro! I did feel like her boyfriend role almost took some of the heroics and lime light from Diana, and I have already had some women complain to me about how he robbed her of some of her triumph. However, that just isn't true. He helped win a battle, but CLEARLY - she saves the world!!! and he simply supported her as she shined and dominated showing courage, bravery and true heroism. Her motivation and drive is "love" - and she desires to save everyone. She exemplifies all the great characteristics of traditional male super heroes, while complimenting that with the great attributes of a woman.

There is plenty to critique about the movie and I have more to share, but I'll stop here. Enjoy the film - I did!





Originally Posted 6/11/17


Related:



Don't Believe the Hate - "Batman v. Superman" is the Truth 



Image result for nubia comics

Is the Wonder Woman Movie White-Washed? 



Image result for all eyez on me poster

June 2017 Movie Trailers





The Greatest Comic Book Movies of All Time



Image result for logan poster

"Logan" is Better Than All of the Other X-Men Movies Combined

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was boring! I don't know what else I can say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Wonder Woman last night. It was entertaining – not so much that I'd rush to buy another $10 movie ticket to see it again, but I would watch it again on Netflix. The story provides a good background story for the Wonder Woman I remember watching on TV in the 70s. Along the way, it did a pretty good job of acknowledging the many biases and prejudices you would expect today's society to have against stories like this one: an all woman culture of amazons trained to “fight like men”, who don't need (or want) men, and the ”American” heroine not being American at all. A remark here and a conversation there clearly depict that all of us are impacted by such issues and, whether we know it or not, are a party in war for respect and civil rights.
    The movie did surprise me though, with an unexpected display of what women do bring to the table in this fight. You'll have to see this part for yourselves.

    ReplyDelete