Wednesday, July 13, 2022

I Should've Waited for "Minions: The Rise of Gru" to Come to a Streaming Service

 

by John Zenoni



I really did want to see a flick tonight - especially with it being discount Tuesday - but man the well was dry as far as pickings. I had the option to see the latest Thor film with some guys but that just looks stupid to me, not to mention it's not getting good reviews, so I passed. So, despite my better judgement, I ended up going to see ‘Minions: The Rise of Gru.’ I'm not really even a fan of those little creatures but the popcorn and soda prevailed, I guess. Thank goodness I didn’t pay full price for this one. It's not a completely horrible film, it does have a few comical moments and the voices behind the characters are those of many talented actors: Steve Carrell, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Taraji P. Henson (whose character, ’Belle Bottom’, was definitely a highlight of the film), Michelle Yeoh, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Dolph Lundgren, Danny Trejo, Lucy Lawless, RZA, and Alan Arkin.
The story is about a young Gru, whose big dream is to join the meanest villains around at the time - set in the 70’s so at least the soundtrack had some great (and not so great) classic songs from that time - called the Vicious 6. His interview with them goes awry and from there the chase begins between him, the Vicious 6 and his ultimate hero/villain, Wild Knuckles. While I enjoyed the 70’s references and some more adult-style inside jokes, as well as the music, this is one I should have waited to watch when it came to a streaming service.

No comments:

Post a Comment