Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Does the 'La La Land' Backlash Have Any Merit?



by John Zenoni


 Image result for la la land poster


With all of the hullabaloo going on this awards season about 'La La Land', I decided I had to check it out. Well let me say that it is is nothing short of terrific! 

I had my concerns and doubts going into it but then again I love the director's previous, excellent film 'Whiplash', so I figured it would be interesting to see what he had done. Now I can see why there is so much acclaim for the movie. It is unlike anything seen or done in the last decade, at least. It truly is a throwback to the old style films but done with a modern twist. The opening scene alone captures you right away. For those who are not fans of musicals, they might say not in a good way, but you cannot argue that it does, which speaks for the director's skill. 

The main characters played by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone both give outstanding performances and the music is amazing. In its tribute to jazz there are scenes that just blow you away by the musicians and songs that are played. John Legend even had a part that I was unaware of going into the film and he was also very impressive in his role. 

While there are websites and articles now devoted to a backlash of this film, I cannot imagine why when it is about art, ambition, hard work, dedication to your art or craft you love, and tough decisions you have to make about the passion you have for something. 

I have seen many great films this past year and this one really is in a category all by itself. Is it worthy of being declared best picture of the year? It is very close in comparison to others but even if it does not win, everyone should take 2 hours of their week to enjoy a pleasurable and entertaining film like this one. A+





Originally Posted 1/29/17


Related:

 

 The Best Films of 2016





Image result for hell or high water

Hell or High Water - A Modern Western Masterpiece 






Image result for 13th movie ava duvernay poster

13th


No comments:

Post a Comment