Wednesday, September 28, 2022

"Smile" Review

 

by John Zenoni



As I get older, I am becoming less a fan of horror films and yet I could not get enough of them when I was in my teens, 20’s and 30’s. But for whatever reason, that has become the case and I should have known to stay away from the latest horror entry, ‘Smile.’ Having been invited to check it out with some friends (including one who I found out is a prankster - I will explain later on), I decided to go. And needless to say, ‘smile’ is not what I did, except for the times when we jumped at moments during the film.
While the film did not end like I would have expected or wanted, overall it had a really good creepy factor. The film opens with Dr. Rose Cotter (played by Sosie Bacon), a doctor who works on the mental health floor of a hospital, encountering a very disturbing situation with a patient. The young woman insists she sees something at times that has a horrific and scary smile. While questioning the patient, the young woman gets hold of some broken glass and kills herself in front of the doctor. Not long after, Dr. Cotter begins to sense something around her and eventually sees people with this horrific smile as well. Initially, she thinks it is PTSD attributed to being in the room at the time the patient killed herself but as time goes on she realizes it is more than that. She herself is seeing this presence as well and cannot shake or explain it. She then figures out there is a connection to the number of unexplained suicides that are taking place. No one believes her so she has to try and find a way to get rid of it herself. Thus, this is the main preface of the film. There are many scares in this one and the movie itself is pretty good other than, again, the ending.
Oh, as for the prankster I was with, she had a smile mask (pic below) and after the movie when I turned around to get my phone and look back she had that thing up to her face! Yep, needless to say, I screamed and she fell to the floor laughing! I thought I was going to lose it. I am sure it was a set up and the lesson has been learned! But I will admit she got me good and is all part of the fun of seeing a scare flick!









No comments:

Post a Comment