Friday, August 19, 2022

"Fall" Review

 

by John Zenoni



It has been a long time since a movie has made me squirm and cause my blood pressure to rise like it did this evening but that is exactly what happened while watching the recently released film, ‘FALL.’ I never expected to be so engaged in this one but I have to admit it sucked me in and kept me on the edge of my seat. The thing is, the premise is pretty ludicrous and you know the things that happened could never have taken place in real life. But the scenery - especially the climbs and the heights the two main characters go to - causes anxiety and panic early on. And as the fear builds up you get to this crazy twist that throws you for a loop. Some people will be disappointed, perhaps even angry at it, but it worked for me.
The film is about a young woman, her husband and her best friend, who are on a climb when the husband has an accident and is killed early on in the film. Grieving since that incident, and not responding to her family (her father is played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, of ‘The Walking Dead’ fame), suddenly her best friend shows up and wants to try and help her get over her loss. To do that, she proposes they do a climb on a 2,000 foot tall abandoned radio tower in the desert. Needless to say, not a very smart idea but it happens. It's during this climb that the best friends learn things about each other, some good and some not so good. I won’t reveal the big twist but while there's one thing that happened I suspected early on, the other definitely caught me off guard and was pretty good as part of the climax.
All I know is that the film confirmed one thing for me if nothing else and that is that I do not have any desire to be a climber.

No comments:

Post a Comment