Sunday, August 28, 2022

"Parasite" Movie Review



by John Zenoni


Image result for parasite movie

Image result for parasite gif

Well I went into this film truly wanting to hate it because it won Best Picture of the year (beating out my personal fave “Joker”) and I can't believe it but it turned out to be one of the most original, well made, entertaining and flat-out brilliant movies I've seen in a long, long time. Don’t get me wrong, “Joker” is still an amazing piece of work in my opinion, but “Parasite” is a jaw-dropper for sure. Had this film come out last year or next, “Joker” would have won but I can understand now why “Parasite” did after having seen it myself.

***Spoilers***

First, let me start by saying that I was concerned about the film having subtitles, as I normally find that annoying. Not so in this case at all as the way the film starts made me forgot about them immediately.
The film is about a poor Korean family, the Kim’s, (unemployed parents and a son, daughter) who live in the slums and are struggling to make it day-by-day. While coming up with a plan to try and improve their lives, luck falls into their lap as the friend of the son happens to stop by and offers him the opportunity to tutor the daughter of a wealthy family, the Parks. Once the son gets into the home and impresses Mrs. Park, he comes up with a plan to get his sister in the house and after her follows the father and mother. I won't disclose how the story plays out, as it's absolutely brilliant but I will say that just when you think you're totally engaged in the film, a twist comes in and leaves you with your mouth open.
The film also does a great job of portraying the differences between the classes in society, where the poor are just wanting to have the basic things in life such as food, clothing, tv, etc. while those who are fortunate enough to be upper-class seem to take everything for granted. Of course, that's a general statement as not everyone is like this but the film gets a good point across.
The acting and action in this flawless film is top-notch. I can't find fault with any of the performances as they are amazing. It's a perfectly paced and directed film that I definitely plan on seeing again. To quote someone else, this is a perfect ‘...tragicomedy thriller film directed by Bong Joon-ho, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Han Jin-won.’
All I can say is that if you are a true film-lover, you have to see this one.




Originally Posted 2/25/20

No comments:

Post a Comment