Thursday, March 11, 2021

"Nomadland" Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni




I finally got a chance to check out the much talked about film ‘Nomadland’ that is being hailed by so many as the top film of the year and it definitely is worthy of all the raves. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I would say it is the ‘Best Picture’ of the year because I've seen several I absolutely love, but it definitely is an amazing piece of work. For those not familiar with the story, it's about a woman in her sixties who loses everything and decides to go around the country - sometimes stopping long enough to work and be temporarily ‘settled’ - while living in her van. At one point in the film she is referred to as a ‘nomad’ and at another she's called a ‘modern day pioneer.’ She encounters many other interesting and beautiful people who either have chosen to live life on the road or really don’t have a choice because of circumstances in their lives. Before going any further I can say that Frances McDormand is absolutely amazing in her role as Fern and is definitely worthy of award recognition as well as the director, Chloe Zhao, who helmed this piece of art.
I will say, in thinking more about it, that it really is a beautiful film. It's one that I have to look at from two points of view - on a personal level as well as that of a lover of cinema. So many things hit me hard while watching this movie and honestly I'm not sure it was the right time to have watched it, having lost a stepfather, brother and my mother this past year, all of whom I was close to, especially my mother who was my heart. Anyway, the stories of some of the people Fern encounters is amazing and at times heartbreaking. One gentleman who lost his son due to suicide 5 years earlier, told Fern he thought, ‘How can I be alive on this earth when he is not?’ So he said what he decided to do was honor him by serving and helping others. What a beautiful sentiment and way to honor his son. This makes me think of my loved ones who've passed on and what an excellent way to carry on their memory. This film also reminds me of my father, who passed away 27 years ago, and the many homeless people he encountered with his ministry. I remember the stories he told me of encountering many people who wanted to be on the streets and many who did not. Remembering is a key theme to this film and one I won’t forget for a long time.
As far as a movie, it's definitely in the top group of movies released this last year. The acting, by everyone, is top notch and the pace of the film is just perfect. Excellent film indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment