Tuesday, March 9, 2021

"Land" Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni




I don’t think I can do anything to top Ran’s great review that was posted earlier about the film, ‘Land’, directed by and starring Robin Wright, but I have to add my comments as well because it's just that good.
First let me start with the one opening scene where Robin Wright’s character, Edee, is heading toward her destination (or isolation is more like it) and the song ‘I’m on Fire’ (written by Bruce Springsteen and beautifully performed by The Staves) comes on. It just fits perfectly with that scene. I love it when a film director puts the perfect song or piece of music together with a scene in a film. To me that is a skill in itself as it sets the mood or tone of what's happening.
The next thing that took my breath - and I'm not shocked by any means but still pleasantly surprised - is the cinematography. The scenes of the mountains and beautiful countryside is just stunning. I'm not a mountain person myself - I prefer the beach - but the scenes just made me want to be there surrounded by the wonderful beauty of nature and all its glory. What Edee goes through, especially in the winter, is crazy and she's lucky to have made it.
As for the acting, it's top notch and Robin Wright’s performance is definitely amazing but I also loved that of her ‘co-star’ Demian Bichir, who plays Miguel and actually helps Edee. I don’t want to say anything other than that so as to not spoil the film because the two of them tell their own stories as to why they are where they are.
This film is a short one - only 1 hour 29 minutes - but the skillful direction and story telling by Robin Wright (I cannot believe this is her debut film) is told perfectly in that short time frame.
The ending - all I can say is it spoke volumes to me about life! Great movie for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment