Thursday, June 10, 2021

"Queen Bees" Early Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni


Well, I know I'm getting older when the actors who were already older when they were in their prime and starred in films I admired are now old enough to star in a movie about life in a retirement home! The actors who star in this latest release are people who have all done great work in the past and I've enjoyed watching them through the years. I'm talking about Loretta Devine, Jane Curtain, Ann-Margret, James Caan, Christopher Lloyd and the woman who played one of the meanest nurses, if not people, in cinematic history as Nurse Ratched in ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest’, Ellen Burstyn. The film is called ‘Queen Bees’ and it really is a delight. It's just a nice, charming film about facing the reality of where we are in life when we get older, deciding how to let go of the hurt and pain of the past, but most importantly, learning that it's never to late to fall in love or to be loved.

The cast is terrific and everyone does such a great job. While there are some predictable moments and a few cheesy scenes, I could overlook those because of the charm of the film. It has some pretty tender moments but also some pretty funny ones as well. The getting ‘baked’ scene with Ellen Burstyn and Loretta Devine is great!

Ellen Burstyn’s character, Helen Wilson, is getting up in age and growing forgetful and when an accident happens at her home, her daughter decides, against Helen’s wishes, that she must go to an assisted living community. I know, I know, these types of films have been made before and I can’t say that I've been too fond of them. But this one just clicked with me. It's a film that doesn't depend on nudity, language or abuse to try and attract an audience. I would go so far as to say this film has class and I do appreciate that! A very enjoyable film with some reputable performers who do a great job and remind us that Hollywood can still make a movie without the unnecessary obscenity and violence!

Available in theaters on June 11.


#cinemafiends
#fullycinematic
#queenbeesfilm
#queenbees

No comments:

Post a Comment