Tuesday, June 1, 2021

"A Quiet Place II" Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni


A Quiet Place Part II' trailer is here to scare you silly on New ...

Well, the summer movie event of 2021 is here and it's ‘A Quiet Place Part II.’ I have to say a couple of things about this and that is: 1) it's been a long time since I've jumped a couple of times like this during a movie; and 2) I actually found this sequel to be better than the original. Definitely an unusual case for me. In fact, I can’t recall - other than ‘The Godfather Part II’ and ‘Aliens’ - seeing a sequel that's better than the original. Such a great, psychological thriller, which is how I would classify this film. I also want to point out that everyone did a great job in their roles, especially Emily Blunt, who plays mom Evelyn Abbott, and Noah Jupe, who plays son Marcus Abbott. The way they bounced off each other made the relationship between them seem so real. The other thing I loved about this film is how multiple action scenes were taking place simultaneously between key characters. Brilliantly used in this film! Speaking of ‘Aliens’, I see this and the original film as the ‘Alien’ of this generation.
The film starts with a great setup, showing how all of this started from day 1 - definitely nerve-wracking and a great way to start the sequel - and then jumps to day 400+. Blunt, excellent in her role, is still trying to survive with her 3 kids - one being an infant - in this new world where everyone has to be quiet so the noise-sensitive alien creatures can't hear them. As they move from one place to the next, all goes well until the inevitable trip-up when Blunt’s character hits a trip wire and they have to run, literally, for their lives. They end up meeting up with Emmett, played by Cillian Murphy, a former family friend who lives life hiding out on his own but who eventually teams up with Blunt’s daughter, Regan, played by Millicent Simmond, to try and find a safe place to live.
The action, suspense and dialogue - more in this than the original - is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat. If I had to find any fault with the film it would be the lack of screen time for actor Djimon Hounsou, from ‘Amistad’, who I definitely wish had a bigger role.
This is definitely a nail biter and I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment