Wednesday, June 23, 2021

"The Girl with the Louding Voice" Book Review

 

by John Zenoni


What an absolutely stunning novel! It's ironic that I start my review with that statement because initially I wasn't too sure I was going to like it because of the writing style. The narrative is told by the main character, Adunni, a fourteen-year-old Nigerian girl who wants nothing more than an education. This, her mother has told her, is the only way to get a "louding voice"—the ability to speak for herself and decide her own future. Adunni tells her story in broken English, combined with her native Nigerian tongue. It's definitely something that you have to get used to. But I stuck with it and am so glad, as what a story she has to tell! I became concerned about her safety, was heartbroken over the living conditions she had to deal with and was absolutely furious after being introduced to what has to be one of the meanest characters in recent history, a woman known as Big Madam! This character makes Nurse Ratched from ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ look like Snow White! But even with all that Adunni goes through, she's amazing. I love this quote:

“My mama say education will give me a voice. I want more than just a voice, Ms. Tia. I want a louding voice, I say. I want to enter a room and people will hear me even before I open my mouth to be speaking. I want to live in this life and help many people so that when I grow old and die, I will still be living through the people I am helping.”

This defines a wonderful character and I'm so glad I was able to get to know her through this novel.

#bookfiends
#thegirlwiththeloudingvoice
#thegirlwiththeloudingvoicenovel
#adunnigirlwithloudingvoice

No comments:

Post a Comment