Tuesday, October 11, 2022

"Where the Wild Ladies Are" Book Review

 

by John Zenoni


Ok, if I could rate this novel a little bit higher I would - 3.5 stars out of 5 versus 3 - as it's an entertaining read. The only reason I'm not rating it a 4 or above is because not ALL of the stories within this collection are entertaining. Some of the stories are just strange and made no sense to me.

‘Where the Wild Ladies Are’ by Aoko Matsuda is a collection of ghost stories that's spooky, original and definitely feminist as all of the men are immensely frowned upon for their behavior in real life. It seems that the women in this novel who are now ghosts all have had some bad experiences and those are shared throughout the novel.

There are some really great (and spooky) stories and some that are just odd and I myself didn't get the meaning. Perhaps, being a man, that's to be expected? I don’t know, but I will say that this is an original novel and a pretty fast and easy read. It's also interesting to note that all the stories are based, loosely, on traditional Japanese stories of yōkai, ghosts and monsters that figure prominently in the country's folklore.

#bookfiends
#wherethewildladiesarenovel
#aokomatsudawhereth
ewildladiesare

No comments:

Post a Comment