Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Billy Meets Tiffany in "Here Today"

 

by John Zenoni



You know it's nice to see a new movie where it's all ‘feel good’, ‘inspirational’, ‘light hearted’ with no foul language, nudity or violence and if you want to see one today - which is a rarity in amongst current entertainment choices - then I suggest you watch the just released film, ‘Here Today.’ First of all, not that I'm his biggest fan, but it was actually nice to see Billy Crystal on the big screen again. He has some pretty smart one-liners in this and I have to admit to finding some of the jokes pretty good. Keep in mind, I said some and I'll explain why later. It was also nice to learn that Crystal directed the film and I think he did a very good job. The other smart thing on his part was to cast Tiffany Haddish in the film. I wasn't sure what to expect to be honest as I just couldn't see her playing opposite Crystal. But the chemistry really does work between them, very well in fact. She also has some good one-liners and she and Crystal react to each other very well.
Now, with all this being said, the issue I have with the film is that while there were some good jokes, there were some that seemed to be pretty forced and just didn't hit it out of the park. The other thing is there were moments that were a little ‘schmaltzy’ or ‘cheesy’, if you will. I could see pretty early on in the film where things were headed - I'm sure most could from some of Crystal’s actions in the opening scenes, so with that it made the film pretty predictable.
But I'm not going to complain because it was nice. We need that every once in awhile - a lot actually - and so I say kudos to him for making a movie that focused on not having to resort to excess violence, language or nudity to make a point but instead making one that has a wonderful message about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment