Sunday, May 9, 2021

"Duty Free" Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni



I managed to screen a wonderful documentary just in time for Mother’s Day and it's one that I definitely recommend. There were a few moments that were hard for me to watch, considering my mother won’t be here for Mother’s Day this year, having passed back in December, but the message and story about 75-year-old Rebecca Danigelis was still inspiring and touching and I'm so glad I watched it.
What I especially loved about the film is that it was directed by her son, Sian-Pierre Regis. After his mother loses her job as head of housekeeping after 40 years she's distraught and scared about her losing a job she genuinely loved but even more so, she's worried about how she's going to survive without an income. Her son asks her point-blank one time how much she has in her bank account and with her response you can understand why she's so nervous about losing her job. While the film could have focused on her despair and anxiety, instead her son decides to have his mother write down a bucket list of things she has always wanted to do but was unable to pull off due to her being a single mother raising two boys - she was married at one and there's story there that I won’t spoil - and films her doing these activities.
During this period of filming, you can tell the son truly loves his mother but he manages to focus on her as a person who's having to deal with ageism, the care of our seniors in America and economic concerns. He does a very good job, I feel, of balancing the story and yes, at moments there are some sentiments expressed, it's not overkill at all.
If you want to spend time with your mother this weekend watching a film, this is a good one. Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there, including mine. You may not be here this year in person mom but I'll always love you and keep you in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment