Thursday, May 20, 2021

"Pink: All I Know So Far" Seems a Bit Too Sugar-Coated

 

by John Zenoni




As a big fan of music, watching documentaries about those musicians I follow or am a fan of tends to make me nervous as I always wonder if finding out certain facts about them will make me dislike them, lessen my taste for their music or just disappoint me overall. I will say that with the last several music documentaries I've seen that none of this has been the case thank goodness, including the one I watched tonight about the rock/pop artist, Pink, called, ‘Pink: All I Know So Far.’ There have been some really good documentaries lately about great artists, such as ‘Amazing Grace’, about the Queen of Soul herself, the legendary Aretha Franklin, and ‘Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band’, about The Band. With this latest entry in the rock star documentary though I'll say it just didn't quite go where I wanted it to.
When the segments in the film focused on Pink’s voice, it was great as you can't deny the woman can belt out a tune with her strong, magnificent voice. You also can't deny that she's an entertainer, definitely giving you your money’s worth, if you've ever been to any of her shows. The amount of time and effort the crew and staff have to put into preparing her Las Vegas-style shows in an arena has to be long, hard and very stressful.
This particular documentary was filmed in Europe while Pink was on her 2019 ‘Beautiful Trama’ tour, which also came here to our area and I definitely went to, but the difference being that on this tour she had her husband and two children with her. The director focuses on Pink as she shows how she manages her tour staff of 200+, rehearses her music, and works at being a wife and mother. The film does give some interesting insight into the musician and her life but not the background I would have expected. I wanted it to get into more details about her early start in music, her difficult relationship with her parents (I'd always understood that she was a rebellious kid but didn't get that impression here) and most importantly, her relationship with motocross superstar Carey Hart. Pink has repeatedly stated in interviews that it's because of their contemptuous relationship that she has written many of her songs, including some of her biggest hits! While the film does touch a little bit on their relationship and his role as a great dad, it really just touches the surface.
I definitely enjoyed watching her perform the songs she's known for and scenes of her in concert but this film is a little bit sugar-coated in my opinion and I just don’t feel like we got the real behind-the-scenes story.

Available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video on May 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment