Tuesday, June 7, 2022

"Kongzilla" is a Hot, Jumbled Mess

 

by John Zenoni



After watching the latest flick tonight, all I can say is, per that old cliche, ‘Well, that's two hours of my life I will never get back!’ Absolutely true in the case of watching the hot, jumbled mess that is ‘Godzilla vs. Kong.’ Oh my gosh, where do I even start? Or better yet, why did I not stop watching prior to the halfway mark of this latest release? I can't believe that a production company (or companies) would have spent an estimated $165-200 million dollars to make this movie. While I understand it has already made $170 million or so in overseas dollars, meaning it has already at least made its money back, I cannot imagine that word-of-mouth is going to be favorable for this film, resulting in more profit.
The first thing I have issues with, and probably a minor point but still something that's on my nerves, is the use of modern/classic songs in certain scenes of the movie. Trying to make it cool, I guess, or more appealing? Horrible, as in my opinion it didn't help at all. This has been done before in many other films. The other thing is the story. What a mess! It all was very confusing to me and I couldn't follow from one moment to the next. I believe the point was to try and find Kong a new home but then en route they encounter Godzilla who, previously friendly, has been turned evil and dangerous by some science company? At least that's what I think happened. It really didn't matter to be honest.
Next up is the acting - atrocious! I've seen school plays where kids give better performances than most of these professional actors. I wouldn't want my name associated with this film at all, much less be connected to anyone in it. I'm just shocked at the path that Millie Bobby Brown’s career has taken after the excellent (well, for the first couple of seasons) ‘Stranger Things’ series on Netflix. What is she (and her agent) thinking? Surely she's been offered better roles - in fact, she did recently do a great job in her Holmes series so that's a saving grace for her. She just needs to stay away from these sci-fi films. Also, the child actor in the film can sign with Kong? What in the world? When did this happen? Have I missed something?
Speaking of sci-fi, is the category this film is supposed to be? One minute I felt like I was watching an older film then the next minute I felt like I was watching a very futuristic film with a mix of cool technology, lights and tools.
The last 39 minutes are truly a mess as we go from G v K against each other then another ‘Godzilla’ coming into play and it was just dumb.
Ok, so the special effects aren't too bad I will admit but overall this film is just a mess and I can assure you I won’t be watching it again or recommending it to anyone. This is one that should've been left on the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment