Thursday, December 15, 2022

"The Lighthouse" Movie Review



by John Zenoni




Related image

All I can say is that "The Lighthouse" is one weird ass movie. But it is a very deep, symbolic film.

If anyone saw the psychological, horror film ‘The Witch’, released in 2015 and directed by Robert Eggers, I hope you would agree that it was one of the creepiest, scariest films released in a very long time. When I heard that the director was making a new film I wasn't sure that I would want to see it, considering his previous film was just too much for me. But after reading the premise and hearing that Willem Dafoe was one of the central characters in ‘The Lighthouse’, I decided I had to give it a try.

I have to say this film is a strange one. It is not so much a film based on the normal scare tactics such as things jumping out or bloody scenes as it is a focus on two men who are slowly losing their minds and sinking into insanity. The film stars, as mentioned, Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, who are lighthouse keepers that end up being stranded on the remote island where they are stationed. The film focuses on their getting to know each other as there is nothing else to do on the island. As times goes on, and they realize they are stranded because of the storm, they slowly get angry and violent towards one another. The scenes are intense at times and there is a scary feel to it especially since the film is totally shot in black-and-white -- as it should have been -- to make the film work.

I have to admit that the ending left me baffled but after looking up other reviews and reading insights into it, it made sense. The other thing that makes this film work is the acting. Excellent work by both actors.




Originally Posted 1/27/20

No comments:

Post a Comment