Thursday, April 8, 2021

I'm Overwhelmed with Love and Admiration for "Minari"

 

by John Zenoni




I'm sitting here absolutely overwhelmed with love and admiration for ‘Minari.’ I really had no idea what to expect but I'm so glad I finally watched it. It's such a well-made and beautiful film about an immigrant family working hard to find a new life for themselves in America. This Asian American family still has traditions of their native country that they respect and love and follow but they don’t sacrifice that to be part of America. There are struggles, hardship and sacrifices that they make and go through but that's what makes them a family you want to see succeed. Everyone in this film is amazing and I loved being able to watch them interact with each other talking in both English and their native language. Where did they find these child actors, especially Alan S. Kim, who plays David? Definitely a young man with skills way beyond his years. I'm also so proud of Steven Yeun (whom any follower of ‘The Walking Dead’ series will know as Glenn) as he really showcases his talent in his role as the father. But the real scene stealer is Grandma, portrayed by Youn Yuh-jung. She is absolutely brilliant in her comedic/sad/heartbreaking role in this film. Awesome ensemble indeed!
The other things I love about this film are the cinematography and music. It all just works perfectly together and is almost a work of art on its own. It's just magic together and made the film work.
I can definitely see now why the movie's getting all the raves and it's honestly going to be one to watch on Oscar night.

No comments:

Post a Comment