Wednesday, January 10, 2024

"Ferrarri" Review

 

by John Zenoni


Ferrari the car might be fast but there is definitely nothing speedy about the latest Michael Mann film, “Ferrari”, about the founders and evolution of the famous car company, starring Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz, Patrick Dempsey and Shailene Woodley. While there are some interesting facts in the film about Ferrari and his personal and business life, this movie felt more like a Lifetime drama than an action-packed filled film, which I was expecting to see.

Yes, there are a few race moments - including one of the most realistic and horrible car crashes I've seen - but nowhere near as much as I wanted to see. I also wanted more focus on the development of the car and why and how Enzo and Laura Ferrari founded the company. The film is almost soap opera’ish in a way and definitely was somewhat of a let down. As far as characters go, Driver was ok, at times, but then at other times he was overplaying it, in my opinion. I honestly was more interested in Cruz as his neglected wife than anyone else in the film and Woodley and Dempsey both were wasted in their parts. Definitely not a winner like I had hoped it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment