Monday, March 14, 2022

"Antlers" is Good but Not Great

 

by John Zenoni



Ok, I definitely need something lighter to watch, seeing how the last couple of films I've seen have been scare/horror flicks. But I have to say that ‘Antlers’ definitely brought the creepiness and scare. It was pretty gory as well, if you're into that. I really wanted to watch this film, as I read a really good book this past year, ‘The Only Good Indians’ by Stephen Graham Jones, and felt that the story of each might connect or be somewhat similar.
This film is good in how it depicts a small, mountain town that is slowly dying due to a bad economy and a huge drug problem in the community. It also has some beautiful scenery and a good story as well. The opening scene shows a couple of family men in a cave who encounter something strange. One of the men has contracted or been possessed by something and has to convince his two young boys to lock him in a room and not let him out. The local teacher takes an interest in young Luke, as she can tell that something is wrong. And after finding some drawings in his desk, she suspects abuse. Only that's not what it is.
Soon, deaths occur and the local police - after not understanding what could have committed the crimes - consult with a local gentleman who tells them they are dealing with a demonic force-of-nature who is taking its anger out on humans.
The film is a good horror film, but not great. The performances are good but it just doesn’t excel as I was hoping it would. But this is one that gave me goose bumps a few times and I'm glad I was watching it earlier in the evening, as opposed to late at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment