Monday, September 13, 2021

"Malignant" Review

 

by John Zenoni



Wow! What a twist that I definitely did not see coming! While I'm not a big fan of horror (at least not anymore; I used to not be able to get enough of it when I was younger), I decided to check this one out. I have to say it was pretty intriguing, especially the last third of the film when the big shocker is revealed. I'm not going to divulge anything about that as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. But I will say that it ‘ups the game’ in the horror genre.
The film is about a woman, Madison, who is married and pregnant but her husband is abusive and blames her for her previous miscarriages. During the last fight they have, Madison is slammed against a wall and suffers a pretty bad injury to her head and has some bleeding. Upset and locked out, her husband spends the night downstairs on the couch and this is when the craziness starts. Madison does have a younger sister who is very supportive and comes to her aid (and her defense after the husband is found murdered). From this point on, a big police investigation pursues, others are murdered as well and they find there is a link to it all, which is explained at the end.
While the acting has some spotty moments and the story is not 💯 % solid, there are some pretty good scare moments and again, the latter part of the film just blew me away. I think most horror movie fans would agree and I'm sure word of mouth is going to keep this film around awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment