Tuesday, January 1, 2019

"Bird Box" Had Me Hooked After 5 Minutes



by John Zenoni


Related image






Ok, so I have to weigh in on the much-talked about ‘Bird Box’, currently streaming on Netflix. I decided to jump on the band wagon Sunday night and start it around 9:45, knowing I had to work the next day. But I thought that it wouldn't be that good and that I'd cut it off and come back to it later. Well I was totally wrong! I was hooked from the first 5 minutes. Even my wife, Terri, watched it and she normally doesn't like ‘horror’, or ‘post-apocalyptic’-type films! 

For those who aren't familiar with the story, ‘’Bird Box’ is a post-apocalyptic story that follows a woman named Malorie (played by Sandra Bullock) through a non-linear story full of shocking twists and tragedy. The opening starts off with Bullock and her sister (played by the always excellent Sarah Paulson - most famous for ‘American Horror Story’) going about a regular day when all of a sudden mass chaos breaks out and people start... 


*****spoiler alert****




...committing mass suicide for some reason. It immediately takes off from there and you cannot help but see what else Bullock is going to encounter and how she's going to get out of the situation. She encounters a house of survivors including John Malkovich, Jacki Weaver, Trevante Rhodes (who's excellent) and even Machine Gun Kelly (who would have thought?). They're all on edge so it's fascinating watching how these strangers relate to each other, watch each other, and react to what appears to be the end of the world. This is a definite on-the-edge-of-your-seat thriller and it's very well done. Did it end exactly as I expected or even wanted? Perhaps not but everything else makes up for it. When you have Stephen King, the master of horror, heaping praise on it, then you know it has to be good.


The other thing I know people are asking, if you saw the film ‘A Quiet Place’ earlier this year, is whether or not this film tops that one. They're both so well done and both so good that it's a shame a comparison even has to be made but I can understand why it's happening. If I have to choose between the two, I would have to go with ‘A Quiet Place’ but that would only be by a slim margin.
‘Bird Box’ deserves the praise it's getting and I hope Netflix comes out with other stand alone films like this!





Related:

Image result for a quiet place movie

"A Quiet Place" Movie Review


No comments:

Post a Comment