Wednesday, June 28, 2023

"Chevalier" Is A Great Film

 

by John Zenoni


I hate it has taken me this long to review ‘Chevalier’ but I had a feeling I was going to love this one and I was right. I loved the music, the story, the characters, the drama, the actors - all of it. If there is anything regarding this film, based on the true life of composer Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges, that I would like to have seen more of, it's the relationship between him and his mother, who he was taken from as a young boy. Bologne, the illegitimate son of an African slave and a French plantation owner, is an excellent violinist/composer and manages to rise in French society, even befriending Queen Marie Antoinette. Unfortunately, he falls in love with a young, married woman and his life takes a sudden turn for the worse. Bologne/Chevalier is portrayed by Kelvin Harrison, Jr., who gives an excellent performance in this starring role. Great film!

No comments:

Post a Comment