Monday, April 3, 2023

"John Wick: Chapter 4" Review

 

by John Zenoni


As the film started, I was thinking, ‘Wait, now what happened at the end of the last one? What, or who, is the High Table? Why is he fighting so much and who is he fighting?’ Needless to say, I was able to pull it all together, somewhat, and bring those questions in line as I watched more and more of the film. That is, things did start coming back to me. But even so - and I know I'm probably going to be just one of a handful of people who feels this way and will get slammed - I just didn't get into this one as much as the other films. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of action and stunts going on that has always been appealing about this film franchise. Also, Reeves does a great job with this character but there was just so much overkill (pardon the pun) in terms of the sometimes ludicrous stunts, action sequences and storyline.
If you aren't familiar with the latest story, Wick is once again on the run from hired assassins and on a mission to completely bring down the High Table, as he wants to be free from the organization and any debt he owes to it. During this almost-three hour chase, he encounters a cast of many, including Lance Reddick, Donnie Yen, Bill Skarsgard, Ian McShane, Laurence Fishburne, Rina Sawayama, and others who all do a good job in their roles. It can't go without being said that it was sad seeing the great Lance Reddick in what was to be his final film role.
In the end, I'm still a John Wick fan and was psyched when the trailer for this latest entry in the franchise came out in theaters. But I'm afraid it has now run dry, in my opinion, which is the opposite of what many others are saying. Needless to say, it was a great run while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment