Thursday, February 11, 2021

"The Mauritanian" Early Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni


As most people of this blog's readers know, I normally post lots of my thoughts about the films I see but with ‘The Mauritanian’, I was reading through several reviews after watching the screening and I just happened to find one by The Hollywood Reporter that pretty much sums up all my feelings about the film. So I'll keep this brief.
I do have two key points to share though and that is one, actor Tahar Rahim, who plays the central character Mohamedou in the film, does an outstanding job in his performance. This should definitely bring him to the forefront of today’s actors and the other is, why would you have such a build up in the film and get to the point where Mohamedou can talk to the US Court after all his years of being detained to give what I will call a ‘lackluster’ speech at most? That is the one letdown to me about the film.
Anyway, this is definitely a good film that will leave you thinking a lot about the actions of many and how someone could bring detained for 14 years without being charged for a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment