Sunday, February 28, 2021

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" Movie Review

 

by John Zenoni




Well I finally broke down and watched a movie my younger brother has practically begged me to watch (next on my list is a film my movie buddy keeps asking me to watch, ‘Man of Steel’), Wes Anderson’s ‘Grand Budapest Hotel.’ It wasn't without hesitation though as I'm just not big into Mr. Anderson’s films. His sense of humor just escapes me. However, I will say that this film was better than some of his others that I've watched. I have to admit I did laugh out loud in the opening when the narrator is being so serious and this kid comes popping and the man yells at him. The manner in which he did it was hysterical. Also, I have to say Ralph Fiennes did a splendid job portraying the concierge, Gustavo H. I also loved the performance by the co-star, lobby boy Zero, portrayed by Tony Revolori. Both really played off each very well.
There are some funny moments in the film but I still don’t get the sense of humor. It's just so strange and maybe it takes multiple viewings of his movies to appreciate them.
As usual, a number of celebrities show up in this film (as expected Bill Murray makes a cameo as he seems to love working with Wes Anderson, as does Owen Wilson, who also shows up in the film.
This is one I can finally say I have seen but I'm afraid I don’t have the passion for it that my brother does.

No comments:

Post a Comment