Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Neither Denzel Washington Nor Jared Leto Can Save "The Little Things"

 

by John Zenoni



Wow! I was so excited about seeing this film and I'm sad to say I was so disappointed. For those who haven't heard about this latest release, it's about a Deputy Sheriff named Deke, played by Denzel Washington, who ends up teaming up with the man who replaced him in his former job in LA, Detective Jim Baxter, played by Rami Malek. They join together to try and track down what appears to be a serial killer.
Ok, pretty simple story right? Well it appears to go down that way but then you see flashbacks on a case Deke previously worked on that ended up on a bad note one evening. The events of that night left him being shunned by former co-workers and forcing him to leave his position. It also left him haunted for his own personal reasons, which will actually tie into the ending of the film. It just so happens that during the current investigation it appears there are similarities with his old case with this leading him and Detective Baxter to think it's the same person.
I wish the film had continued down the path of just trying to find and capture the killer. I'll only say that the film takes a turn as they investigate suspect Albert Sparma, played by Jared Leto.
The reason I find myself not liking this film is because it has slow parts, predictable moments and totally unrealistic actions by the detectives. Also, Rami Malek is just so miscast in his part. Denzel Washington does a great job as usual but his actions and behavior have gotten to where they are so predictable and expected such as cop/aviator glasses, slow talking, chewing gum, etc. As far as Jared Leto, he was actually probably my favorite in the film but he was not in it for very long and he had the worst/fake 'beer belly' I have ever seen.
I'm sorry but this is a film that could have been so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment