Sunday, November 24, 2019

"The Farewell" Movie Review



by John Zenoni


Related image

Image result for the farewell gif

I just finished watching an amazing, ‘independent’ film released this past year, ‘The Farewell.’ I kept hearing raves about it when it was in theaters but I don’t recall it playing very long in Columbia and I missed being able to see it on the big screen (always my preference).
There are many things I loved about this film. First and foremost, it features an all-Asian cast. I think we can all agree that there aren't too many films like this produced when compared to the number of mainstream films made in Hollywood. At first I thought the English subtitles might be a distraction for me but this was absolutely not the case. I loved when the actors were speaking and communicating with each other in Chinese, as it was pivotal to the story.

Thus, taking me to the other thing I loved, which is the storyline. The film focuses on Chinese-American Billi, wonderfully played by Awkwafina, who returns to her native homeland to see her Nai Nai (her paternal grandmother), after learning that she has a terminal illness. The key here is that Nai Nai (portrayed by the excellent Zhao Shuzhen) is not being told about her terminal illness. The family decides it's best not to tell her, much to Billi's dismay. However, Billi decides to honor the family's wishes and keep everything secret. In order to not make Nai Nai question why all of her family have returned home suddenly, the family stages her grandson's fake wedding. The film then focuses on everyone’s reactions and behavior around Nai Nai.

The cast in this film did a great job and you really thought you were watching a true family struggle together during such an emotional time.

The music, scenery, and scenes of cultural specific activities were so well done and pivotal to making this a great film. There's one shot of Billi walking down a street with the camera focusing on her face while music is playing that is actually one of the best scenes that I've seen all year.
This is one film that will, or at least should, be recognized come awards time. It's one that makes you think about your loved ones, especially your elders and how we should respect and revere them. This is one of the best films of 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment