Tuesday, November 5, 2019

"Midsommar" is a Bust



by John Zenoni


Related image

Related image

Before the Halloween season gets too far away from us, let me add a review of a horror movie that I just recently watched to the pile. But as much as I WANT to like it, something's holding me back. Has anyone seen ‘Midsommar?’ I had a feeling I was going to probably not care for this only because movies that have to do with communes or villages just don’t work for me. I can't explain it other than that if I got invited to a group setting or commune and something went weird or horribly wrong the first time, I can promise you I would leave everyone else if I had to and get out of there. 

In the case of this film, the main characters witness a horrific act early on in the story and yet everyone goes on about their business ‘studying’ this commune and their habits. Wrong! The other thing about this film is there was no real background given on who the people are, how it got started, what was the belief system, how is it people who went and visited and never came back were never searched for? Maybe I just missed a lot when watching this one and I know critics loved it but my question is why? It did have some gory moments and one ‘shocking’ moment I guess toward the end but honestly this one was a bust. So glad I didn't pay to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment