Thursday, November 3, 2016

"Hacksaw Ridge" Movie Review





 Image result for hacksaw ridge










Mel Gibson -- this year's "Comeback Kid"? Last night I had the opportunity to see Mel Gibson's latest directorial effort, Hacksaw Ridge, and needless to say I'm glad I did. 

When I initially saw the trailer for this film, I honestly was not excited about it because the lead role is played by Andrew Garfield, aka Spider-Man, and I have not been impressed by his acting skills. That opinion of him has now definitely changed based on his performance in this intense, graphic war film. To say that Mel Gibson has done a great job with this film is an understatement. I agree with another reviewer that this film is almost like two-in-one. 

The first part slowly develops Andrew Garfield's character Desmond Doss and his religious beliefs and opinions about killing or hurting others. The second part is the war part -- and boy what a shocker it is! The war scenes are some of the most graphic I have ever seen, comparable to Saving Private Ryan, and made several people in the theater, including myself, jump on several occasions. 

While some might criticize the brutality as being unnecessary, it really emphasizes the viciousness and horror of war that the main character was fighting to avoid to begin with. Not that Desmond did not want to serve, but he was one who did not want to have to kill, but instead heal others. Andrew Garfield really shows his acting abilities in this role and I feel sure he will be recognized for it. 

Like Mel Gibson or not (I still don't) for his unfortunate and despicable actions -- toward his then-pregnant girlfriend years ago -- Hollywood cannot deny the fact that he is an excellent director and has done a great job with this one. I have read many reviews on this film, and yes, I would say that Mel has definitely made his way back as a critical part of the Hollywood industry. Do not miss this film as it speaks volumes on heroism, courage and staying true to what you believe in.

- John Z.









Related:




No comments:

Post a Comment