Sunday, November 20, 2016

'Arrival' Movie Review





 Image result for arrival poster










Ok, I was not sure if I should include this here or under the best sci-if category but either way I have to give a review of the new sci-if film Arrival. This is an amazing and beautiful film. I am not surprised though as it was directed by the same director of the excellent film Sicario, one of my favorite films in the past couple of years. He also directed Prisoners which is a great film as well. 

One should not go into the film Arrival though expecting a lot of action or blood and guts. I have already seen it being referred to as a 'thinking man's sci-fi' film and can see why. The film is about language, universalism, humanity and trying to understand one another. In my opinion it is about life and death as well. 

Amy Adams is remarkable in her role as the linguist assigned to 'talk' to the aliens. But what she goes through and how it is revealed is amazing. It is very moving for various reasons I will not give away. I can see it garnering many nominations come Oscar season.

- John Z. 

No comments:

Post a Comment