Saturday, February 26, 2022

"Uncharted" Review

 

by John Zenoni



Man, I know I'm going to get plenty of flack on this review, ha! - of the big time release, ‘UNCHARTED’, with stars Tom Holland and Mark Walhberg. But I have to call it as I see it and will deal with the aftermath, lol!
No, I didn’t care for this formulaic, predictable and bad-acting film. The storyline started off with promise but then about 30 minutes in it just went awry and the way the main characters kept escaping from each other - while at times cracking unfunny jokes and acting horribly - was ludicrous. And the special effects/action sequences in my opinion were so antiquated. The 1981 ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ movie is 10 times better than this latest entry in the ‘buddies trying to find the pot of gold’ genre. I'm sure most of you have seen the trailer showing Tom Holland’s character flying out of the back of a cargo plane so I'm not giving anything away with my comments on this. But how was he even breathing at that elevation? How was he able to fight people and survive? How is it the necklace he was given - a key part of the film - managed to stay on his neck even though he tumbles and turns upside down and around during that sequence? And don’t even get me started on the helicopter/pirate ship scenes at the end.
I was interested in seeing how the chemistry would be between Holland and Wahlberg and I have to say it wasn't bad. In fact, when you put the two next to each other you would almost say Holland is Wahlberg’s son. But it wasn’t all that great either. Wahlberg seemed to just be very monotone in his delivery during most of the film and Holland overacts, in my opinion.
If there is anything redeeming about this film, it's the casting of Tati Gabrielle as the antagonist, Braddock. She does an amazing job and is someone I would like to see in similar roles in the future. Other than going to watch her, I would wait for this one to be released as a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment