Tuesday, June 18, 2019

"Rocketman" Movie Review



by John Zenoni


Related image





What a musical event in the recent film based on the life of Sir Elton John, ‘Rocketman.’ I have to admit that I didn't expect the film to be a musical so if you go into it thinking it's just a drama with music mixed in, as I did, you need to be prepared. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I was just caught off guard. I think I was expecting it to be similar to the other recent ‘music’ film, ’Bohemian Rhapsody.’ Anyway, I think the film works on its own simply because of the music itself. How many people do you know who have not heard an Elton John song? Obviously the entire catalog could not be played in the film but what was chosen are classics and you can't help but sing along in your head while they're playing.


But what amazing performances there are in the film! The entire cast is great, from Jamie Bell, portraying Elton John’s songwriting partner Bernie Taupin, Bryce Dallas Howard, totally unrecognizable in my opinion as Elton John’s mom Sheila, and Richard Madden as Elton John’s life partner, John Reid. But most significant is Elton himself, of course, portrayed by Taron Egerton. He totally immerses himself into the role and pulls it off brilliantly. When you add the fact that he sings the songs himself it's amazing.



I didn't know much about Sir Elton John’s life prior to this film but have to admit it was hard at times seeing how he was treated as a child. Some of the scenes of him spiraling out of control with drugs and excess was hard as well and have to admit that I'm amazed that he pulled himself out of it. Thankfully he did so he could continue to provide us with his amazing music. A great film!





Related:

Image result for bohemian rhapsody poster

Despite Minor Performance Issues, "Bohemian Rhapsody" Works


No comments:

Post a Comment