Wednesday, March 8, 2017

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" Book Review



by John Zenoni


Related image


Author: Lionel Shriver

Synopsis: Mother-of-two Eva recounts, via a series of letters, her relationship with her oldest child, the titular Kevin. The relationship between mother and son becomes adversarial very early on. However, each conceals antagonism towards the other from Franklin -- Kevin's father and Eva's husband. The theme of nature vs. nurture figures heavily in the novel and the reader is left to wonder whether Kevin's actions stem from his core self or if they're a byproduct of his mother's actions and feelings towards him.


I am sitting here shell-shocked after reading this excellent novel! Part of me is angry, upset, relieved, sad, sickened, astonished...those are just a few of the words I know to describe the emotions I experienced while reading this book. I just don't know what to say because some of the things said, and not just actions, in the novel made me mad and yet they also made me look into some of my feelings about being a parent -- and a person. This is exactly what a good book is about and perfect for a book club to discuss. I cannot wait to discuss with mine! 

I did not watch the movie as friends who saw it said it was not good. But let me tell you, the book was INTENSE! Excellent (and scary)!

No comments:

Post a Comment