Sunday, November 29, 2020

"Enola Holmes" Movie Review

 by John Zenoni




Fun, fun, fun - that is how I would describe the recent Netflix film, ‘Enola Holmes.’ While at first I was worried that the story might not bode well for the classic character, Sherlock Holmes, I can assure any fans of that great detective that this film does a good job of keeping his legacy intact and focuses on Enola alone as a great detective herself.
The story is quite simple. Enola, the younger sister of two older brothers, including the up and coming famous detective, Sherlock, finds that her mother has all of a sudden disappeared. She's determined to find out where her mother has gone but becomes the ward of her oldest brother who wants nothing but to keep her in a boarding school for girls where she can learn to become a young society lady. Enola escapes and begins her journey to find her mom. Along the way she encounters a young lord and must try to help him escape from danger. Thus begins the cat-and-mouse chase along with Enola searching for clues about her mom. As she's doing so, older brother Sherlock begins to realize she's a wonderful detective as well.
I knew the minute I saw Helena Bonham Carter, who plays Enola’s mother in the film, that I had to watch it as I love anything with this wonderful actor. She gives a great performance as usual and I hope to see her again. If Netflix decides to make a sequel I'm open for it! I also enjoyed Henry Cavill in his role as Sherlock Holmes and thought he pulled it off nicely. All of the other actors are good as well but I definitely have to give kudos to Millie Bobby Brown as Enola. She does a remarkable job, including her few scenes of talking to the audience. I normally don't care for that but in this case it works and doesn't take away from the film at all. Definitely a fun movie to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment