Tuesday, May 30, 2023

"The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane" Book Review

 

by John Zenoni


I have to say my latest read is one that I struggled with from the start, then got into it and really started enjoying it, then felt totally disappointed with the ending. So needless to say, this is one I'm recommending with mixed emotions. ‘The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane’, by Lisa See, is about a young girl of Chinese origin who, part of the Akha ethnic minority, struggles to stay true to her family’s rituals and heritage. It's a coming-of-age story in which she falls for a local boy but not one chosen by her family. Once she makes certain choices, Li-yan has to face the outcome and we get to go on this journey with her. It has some really good moments but does drag at times, in my opinion. As for the ending, my letdown is that it ended abruptly and not as I would have expected by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment