Wednesday, March 1, 2023

"The Watcher" Review

 

by John Zenoni



The Watcher’ is a well done, creepy Netflix series that deserves the attention it received when first released. I'm late to the party, I know, but I was finally able to check this one out and I'm glad I did. What caught me even more off guard is the fact that it's based on not one, but two true stories. But I'll get to that in a bit.
In the story, a young couple with two kids are looking for a fresh start and fall in love with a beautiful house at 657 Boulevard in Westfield, NJ. Naomi Watts and Bobby Canavale portray Nora and Dean Brannick in the series and both do a great job. Also in a creepy role is Mia Farrow, who plays a next door neighbor who definitely has some issues of her own. Jennifer Coolidge stars as a friend of Naomi Watts, who just happens to be a real estate agent with a desire to get into the house, which you'll see played out in the series. But, actually, my favorite character of the series is the investigator, Theodora, played by the amazing Noma Dumezweni. I love her, as she's excellent in everything she's in. It's through her work to try and catch ‘The Watcher’ that she tells a story of a former owner that's actually based on a real story and is very disturbing. Not to mention that the case of ‘The Watcher’ is based on a true story and has never been resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment