Thursday, March 21, 2019

"Us" is an Enjoyable Head-Scratcher



by John Zenoni


Related image





To quote a critic who did a great job capturing most of the things I wanted to say about 'Us': ‘It’s one of the most perplexing films you’re likely to see in multiplexes this year.’ I saw the film on Thursday night at a 7:30 showing and it had a pretty good turn out as I had expected. What I did not expect was the mixed reaction of the audience, both during and after the film. There were scenes where some people laughed but I couldn't tell if the director intended the audience to laugh at said scene or not. Then there were some scenes that to me were terrifying and yet no one seemed to jump or scream or make any sound. After the movie was over and we were all walking out, I heard some people say it was so good and then I heard others say they had no idea what the movie was about. 


I really did enjoy this film and would definitely recommend it but it's a movie that's going to have you scratching your head. It is not as creepy as I had expected, based on the film trailers, but it still has its scary moments. The thing about this film is there are so many takeaways from it - the symbolism, the metaphors, the use of color, music and sound. I'm still trying to make sense of the allegory and irony. Honestly, it's almost like a Stanley Kubrick film in that regard. That being said, the cast was great for the most part, especially Lupita Nyong’O who is superb in ‘both’ of her parts. The suspense does build and then it reaches a point where you think, ‘What?’ Frankly, I'm still trying to get the ending. I may have to see it again to pick up on everything. It's a great follow up - but definitely not as good as - ‘Get Out’. But Jordan Peele is no doubt a director to contend with and I see him having a long film career. It is different that's for sure!






Related:

Image result for get out movie 2017

"Get Out" Delivers Horror AND Social Satire

No comments:

Post a Comment