Monday, July 30, 2018

The ABBA Music Alone is Worth Going to See "Mamma Mia 2"



by John Zenoni


Related image








Ok, I am sorry but I have to admit - and do so with no shame - that I am an ABBA fan! Yes, ok, I've said it. You cannot tell me that they do not create fun, lighthearted, ‘easy on the ears’ music. In my opinion, it is without a doubt some of the best pop music ever written. You don’t get to being the number 2 export of Sweden at some point (only behind Volvo) without doing something right. Or, being offered 1 billion dollars to reunite as a group and go on tour (which they turned down due to the animosity amongst the former members). 

With that being said, the newest film, ‘Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again’, will please those fans of the band and their famous songs. The movie is a continuation of the previous film released 10 years ago (that is hard to believe), ‘Mamma Mia’, which was based on the Broadway play. This story picks up where the last left off with Sophie, Meryl Streep’s daughter from the first film, rebuilding her mom’s Greek hotel, which was a dream of her mother’s. I am not going to say too much more so as to not spoil anything for anyone who has not yet but plans on seeing the film. 

From what I could see, all the original cast members from the first one returned, although Meryl Streep only made a cameo, but it was a definite highlight of the film. The storyline is good and while this is a sequel that does not quite live up to the original, it is still a fun, ‘feel good’ film that music lovers will enjoy. The cast was strong and music was plenty with some actual new music by ABBA. It has been said the the members did reunite long enough to go into the studio and record the music but they won't be touring. The highlight -- and most notable member of the cast -- is Cher, who portrays Sophie’s grandmother (Meryl Streep’s mother?). The scene between her and Andy Garcia in this film singing one of the best known ABBA songs was a treat I must say and I know that my family loved it. The theater was packed with people that could be heard humming or singing along to songs. And the crowd applauded at the end of the movie. I haven't heard that in a long time. Was it a great film? No, but it took you away from your troubles for 2 hours and that was ok by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment