Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"A Dog's Purpose" Movie Review



by John Zenoni
Originally published 1/18/17

 Related image










To be honest I went into the movie "A Dog's Purpose" without expecting much because I am not a big fan of animal movies per se but it was a free screening so I figured why not. I have had animals and do love them but I am not one to go crazy over them. Plus, most films that have animals as the central characters just always seem corny or lacking in depth. 

Well, I left the theater feeling overjoyed with this film. Is it the best movie I have ever seen or is it Oscar material? No...however, the way the film was made in terms of the plot, the use of the animals (and especially the main dog, Bailey) and the acting by those in the film was wonderful. It just made you feel good about life, about the ups and downs we experience but most importantly about the relationship that people have with their pets and each other. I know the phrase 'life affirming' tends to be a cliche but in this case it definitely applies. I love the director Lasse Hallstrom and with this film I was not disappointed.

Updated 2/5/17
 
Finally, the REAL truth comes out about the handling of the animals during the filming of this wonderful movie. I am glad to see that an independent study was done and those behind the shameful tactics to alter facts have been proven wrong...not every movie that has animals in it is going to be one that promotes abuse or neglect of animals...


No comments:

Post a Comment