Monday, June 4, 2018

"Book Club" Movie Review



by John Zenoni


Related image









Today I had the chance to spend time with my mother - for which I was extremely excited but for which I was also nervous as we (me, my mother, wife, sister, brother-in-law, aunt and friend) were going to see “Book Club” - and I was not that crazy about the movie pick. But, it was what she wanted to see so of course mom ruled out. Well, needless to say the movie turned out to be as predictable as I expected although it did have a few funny moments. The premise itself was pretty original - a group of long time friends who have a book club decide to read “Fifty Shades of Grey” in hopes that it will have an impact on each of their lives in some way. In fact it does for each character but in different ways. The cast was strong - Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, Mary Steenbergen, and Diane Keaton - although not the finest performances of these actresses by any means. The one who really stood out as far as jokes and one liners - surprisingly - was Candice Bergen. Supporting cast members included Andy Garcia, Don Johnson, Richard Dreyfuss and Alicia Silverstone. There were a few high points and a good “life lesson” taught in the movie, but it was a flick that definitely did not have as many laughs as I had hoped.


No comments:

Post a Comment